Battling broken code in a client’s site that was built using PHP 5.
Their hosting company arbitrarily decided to upgrade to PHP 7 and the code used for database interactions was all deprecated (translation=”now totally non-functional”).
A little warning would have been nice so I could update code to use mysqli at a reasonable pace rather than a fire drill.
The front-end was easy to fix and back up and running in short order, but the back end maintenance site is giving me headaches. SO much code to change.
So I decided it was time to install Ruby on Rails on my mac. It was more time consuming than I’d expected. I also spent considerably more time in terminal at the command prompt than I’m used to these days.
I didn’t want to use a ‘one-click installer’ for this as wanted to be a little more hands-on and have a sense of what was involved component-wise.
Steps were configuring Git, setting up an SSH cert there, setting up Homebrew, then rvm, checking the gem manager installs, updating installed gems, installing bundler to manage gems, installing nokogirl (which is a dependency for many other gems), upgrading ruby to a more current version, then installing rails.
At the end of all this I was finally able to display a web page on the laptop.
That’s it for now. Environment set up – but actual work called so I had to leave this for now. I’ll be back!
Useful link: http://railsapps.github.io/installrubyonrails-mac.html
Use of the Ruby on Rails logo should in no way be taken to infer an endorsement of Blue Larch llc